Answer is a bit messy.

Perhaps you can set the environment variable "export
HADOOP_USER_CLASSPATH_FIRST=true" before you do a "hadoop jar …" to
launch your job. However, although this approach is present in
0.20.204+ (0.20.205, and 1.0.x), am not sure if it makes an impact on
the tasks as well. I don't see it changing anything but for the driver
CP. I've not tested it - please let us know if it works in your
environment.

In higher versions (2.x or formerly 0.23.x), this is doable from
within your job if you set "mapreduce.job.user.classpath.first" to
true inside your job, and ship your replacement jars along.

Some versions would also let you set this via
"JobConf/Job.setUserClassesTakesPrecedence(true/false)" API calls.

--
Harsh J