I think this is valid to talk about for example one need not need a
decentralized collector if they can just write log directly to
decentralized files in a decentralized file system. In any case it was
not even a hard vendor pitch. It was someone describing how they
handle centralized logging. It stated facts and it was informative.

Lets face it, if fuse-mounting-hdfs or directly soft mounting NFS in a
way that performs well many of the use cases for flume and scribe like
tools would be gone. (not all but many)

I never knew there was a rule that discussing alternative software on
a mailing list. It seems like a closed minded thing. I also doubt the
ASF would back a rule like that. Are we not allowed to talk about EMR
or S3, or am I not even allowed to mention S3?

Can flume run on ec2 and log to S3? (oops party foul I guess I cant ask that.)

Edward