This probably is a more relevant question in CDH mailing lists. That said,
what Edward is suggesting seems reasonable. Reduce replication factor,
decommission some of the nodes and create a new cluster with those nodes
and do distcp.

Could you share with us the reasons you want to migrate from Apache 205?

Regards,
Suresh