From: Ivan Frain [mailto:ivan.fr...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2012 8:14 AM
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: hadoop security API (repost)

Hi Tony,

I am currently working on this to access HDFS securely and programmaticaly.
What I have found so far may help even if I am not 100% sure this is the right
way to proceed.

If you have already obtained a TGT from the kinit command, hadoop library will
locate it "automatically" if the name of the ticket cache corresponds to
default location. On Linux it is located /tmp/krb5cc_uid-number.

For example, with my linux user hdfs, I get a TGT for hadoop user 'ivan'
meaning you can impersonate ivan from hdfs linux user:
hdfs@mitkdc:~$ klist
Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_10003
Default principal: i...@hadoop.lan

Valid starting    Expires           Service principal
02/07/2012 13:59  02/07/2012 23:59  krbtgt/hadoop....@hadoop.lan renew until
03/07/2012 13:59

Then, you just have to set the right security options in your hadoop client in
java and the identity will be i...@hadoop.lan for our example. In my tests, I
only use HDFS and here a snippet of code to have access to a secure hdfs
cluster assuming the previous TGT (ivan's impersonation):

     val conf: HdfsConfiguration = new HdfsConfiguration()
     conf.set(CommonConfigurationKeysPublic.HADOOP_SECURITY_AUTHENTICATION,
"kerberos")
     conf.set(CommonConfigurationKeysPublic.HADOOP_SECURITY_AUTHORIZATION,
"true")
     conf.set(DFSConfigKeys.DFS_NAMENODE_USER_NAME_KEY, serverPrincipal)

     UserGroupInformation.setConfiguration(conf)

     val fs = FileSystem.get(new URI(hdfsUri), conf)

Using this 'fs' is a handler to access hdfs securely as user 'ivan' even if
ivan does not appear in the hadoop client code.

Anyway, I also see two other options:
  * Setting the KRB5CCNAME environment variable to point to the right
ticketCache file
  * Specifying the keytab file you want to use from the UserGroupInformation
singleton API:
UserGroupInformation.loginUserFromKeytab(user, keytabFile)

If you want to understand the auth process and the different options to login,
I guess you need to have a look to the UserGroupInformation.java source code
(release 0.23.1 link: http://bit.ly/NVzBKL). The private class
HadoopConfiguration line 347 is of major interest in our case.

Another point is that I did not find any easy way to prompt the user for a
password at runtim using the actual hadoop API. It appears to be somehow
hardcoded in the UserGroupInformation singleton. I guess it could be nice to
have a new function to give to the UserGroupInformation an authenticated
'Subject' which could override all default configurations. If someone have
better ideas it could be nice to discuss on it as well.

BR,
Ivan

--
Ivan Frain