From: Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject: Re: doubts reg Hive
To: common-user@hadoop.apache.org
Date: Monday, October 1, 2012, 11:13 AM

Sudha,

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 9:31 AM, sudha sadhasivam
<sudhasadhasi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> We are doing a project in Hive.
>            Given a field / value  is it possible to find the corresponding
>headers (meta data).
>             For example if we have a table with id, user, work_place,
>residence_place
>  given a value "New York" we need to display the headers where New York
>appears ( for eg work_place, residence_place etc.
>
>    Kindly intimate whether  it is possible. If so what is the command for the
>same?

It is certainly possible and is a trivial requirement. All you're
doing is a filtering here, across multiple columns (OR-wise). Perhaps
something like (Pardon if naive/wrong): "SELECT * FROM people WHERE
residence_place LIKE '%New York%' OR work_place LIKE '%New York%';"

In any case, for Hive questions, you are better off asking the
u...@hive.apache.org lists than the Hadoop user lists here.

--
Harsh J