Marc,

The rack aware script is an artificial concept. Meaning you can tell which
machine is in which rack and that may or may not reflect where the machine is
actually located.
The idea is to balance the number of nodes in the racks, at least on paper.  So
you can have 14 machines in rack 1, and 16 machines in rack 2 even though they
may physically be 20 machines in rack 1 and 10 machines in rack 2.

HTH

-Mike