"Geir Magnusson Jr." wrote:
> It's worked that way a little, one or two things from Turbine, some new ones
> and what appears to be a dismantling of Struts into a lightweight controller
> rather than a web app framework :)

Struts has always been about providing the Front Controller and i18n
messaging implementations that most web applications need, but isn't
provided by Java itself. Struts has never provided a persistence layer,
or logging utilities, or several other "framework" components that can
be found elsewhere. We simply believe that these are things that you
should be able to plug into a framework, and that there are already
plenty to go around ;-)

So, it is true that once we can shift Struts to rely more on the JSPTL
tags than its own, what will be left is a lightweight controller.
Especially since, that in the meantime, we are trying to put new
components into the Commons or Taglibs, rather than trap them in the
Struts CVS. Examples here include the Workflow initiative, the
Validator, and Tiles. People will still use these with the framework,
much as they still use the Digester, BeanUtils, and Collections. But,
that isn't really a dismantling, but simply efforts to keep Struts
component-based, and to keep the product from devolving into a monolith.

But, this is getting a little off-topic ;-)

-- Tel +1 716 737-3463
-- http://www.husted.com/struts/