The Validator's core validation has been stand-alone
and independent of Struts for about 6 months when it
was refactored to completely decouple it from Struts.
The project itself is over a year old and was based on
production code that is even older.  So this code has
been in production for a while.  Not as long as Intake
apparently, but this is the first time I've ever heard
about Intake.  Which is one reason why we wanted to
move the Validator to Commons so others could use it
and work on it.  Nothing is perfect, but the group can
work on fixing and/or adding functionality to the
project.  And there can always be more than one
validation framework.

David