Answer inline:

Hey, I am talking about the really minimal "log to a file"
configuration that any logger supports and drawing the line
after that.

I am talking minimal and you are talking framework.

> 2) The more you add the more users expect.
>  It's a "slippery slope".
>  If you add a bit of configuration, then people want
> "a bit more".

Then you must draw the line.

> 3) The more you add, the more people have to download.
> The idea is to keep the component small.

LOL
Now it really seems like we are talking MBs of code.

> 4) We don't need YetAnotherLoggingAPI.
> This is a minimal wrapper around a few logging toolkits.
> If you keep adding more functionality, you end up replicating
> log4j/logkit. We don't need that.

If you read what I wrote with just SOME attention, you will
notice that I am not talking about that.

> 5) If you add it, you've got to do it properly.
> What methods will you add?
>       setConfigurationFile( String filename )
> What about the SimpleLog, how do you configure that?
> What about logging kits that don't use file based
> configuration?

I NEVER talked about loading configuring from a file.

I talked about having a common configuration like:
  setLogFile(String filename)

since any logger accepts logging to a file.

> Once you walk that path, there's a heck of a lot
> of work do to.

Yes, if you add the complex things YOU suggest instead
of the simple ones I am talking about.

> This component has a purpose.
> It fulfills that purpose without needing a configuration
> mechanism.
> Don't go adding one.

Velocity *just talking about a component I know well) is
much easier to use BECAUSE of the common configuration
mechanism.

> At some point you need to draw a line in the sand and say
> "This is the scope of the project"

That is just what we are discussing: where to draw the line.

Now, please try reading what I write without preconceived
ideas.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar