On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Viraf Bankwalla wrote:

> Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 15:31:38 -0800 (PST)
> From: Viraf Bankwalla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Workflow
>
> Hi,
>
> I am still not clear on the distinction being made
> between the Process and Workflow engines.

I'm actually distinguishing between the
org.apache.commons.workflow.Process interface (which doesn't exist yet)
and the org.apache.commons.workflow.Activity interface (which does, and
has a couple of different implementations available.

>  I was also
> wondering you are referring to
> jakarta-commons-sandbox\workflow\PROPOSAL.html when
> you refer to Proposal (as I did not see a reference to
> process).  If not, could you please refer me to the
> correct Workflow and Process proposals.

A more in depth background discussion is available at:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/proposal-workflow.html

because being able to script a series of Struts Actions was one of my
primary motivations.

> Based on my understanding of WfMC, a Workflow is made
> up of Activities.  An activity may be "manual" or
> "automatic".  Manual activities are synchronous - i.e.
> they involve users.  Both should be part of a
> workflow.
>
> So in a sense a WorkFlow definition (XML) is the
> script that ties the processes.  In addition, there is
> noting to prevent an Activity to be a script itself.
>
> I am interested in what you call Wizards and how you
> see them working.

If you download the source of the Workflow package, you can use the
"compile.wizard" and "deploy.wizard" targets to create a very simple demo
of this approach, in a way that only relies on servlet and JSP APIs (it is
not specific to Struts).

This demo was written before the introduction of conditional steps, so it
uses "goto" for flow control -- but you can get a feel for where I've been
thinking from this.

> Thanks.
>
> - viraf

Craig