I've begun to migrate code out of Utils and into some of the new packages.
Currently I've created a lang package and moved the relevant code into the
codec package. I've also finished the migration of code to IO, removing
the old classes and also sending HexDump on over.

One issue of this is that at the moment, XmlUtils and GenerateUniqueId
both fail to compile due to dependency on String[Util]s. As does
RequestUtils.

Here's my list of migration issues and the ones completed tonight:

******************************
Utils Dispersion
----------------

New lang package. Needs a PROPOSAL.   [ALL DONE]
org.apache.commons.lang.Strings
  - remove metaphone and soundex methods.
org.apache.commons.lang.Objects
org.apache.commons.lang.Classes
org.apache.commons.lang.Numbers
org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableDelegate.java
org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableRuntimeException.java
org.apache.commons.lang.exception.Nestable.java
org.apache.commons.lang.exception.NestableException.java

IO package.    [DONE]
Rename FileUtils to Files
Rename StreamUtils to Streams
Remove LockableFileWriter from Util.
Move HexDump over to IO.

Codec package.  [DONE]
Soundex, SoundexComparator, Metaphone move here.
Base64 remove from Util

New servlet package. Needs a PROPOSAL.
org.apache.commons.servlet.Https    [Bad Name?]
org.apache.commons.servlet.Requests
org.apache.commons.servlet.BrowserDetector

Collections package.
Move CollectionsUtils to Collections as ?, merge?
Move MapUtils over to Collections as Maps.
SequencedHashtable and BufferCache to be removed.
EnumerationIterator to be removed.
Transfer StringStack to Collections.

Util retains [and stays in sandbox currently]
org.apache.commons.util.GenerateUniqueId
org.apache.commons.util.Xml
org.apache.commons.util.BitField
org.apache.commons.util.compare.*
org.apache.commons.util.lru.*

***********************************

The next steps (reading from above) are to:

1) create the new servlet package and migrate the http sub-directory there.

2) migrate collections based code over to Collections and clean up.

3) ensure remaining classes compile in the util package. This will
   involve a level of dependency, so this issue must be tackled too.

While I'm happy to try all of them, I'm not sure I currently have a
servlet itch, so would be a poor choice to write the proposal for number
1. I plan get them done tomorrow night though, even if I just make a http
dir, create a relatively vague proposal and leave it ownerless. I'm not
sure if that breaks regulations or not.

I apologise for the 3 currently uncompiling classes, and if I misunderstood
anyones opinions in the targets for migration. I think what I've done matches
everyone's shared views.

Bay