Why do you want to bring Poolman here?  Commons already has a pool and
connection pool.  In an attempt to allow jakarta-turbine-torque to use
any jdbc2 pool, I started looking for an open-source implementation and
found none.  Poolman and DBCP can be said to have the possibility of
presenting a DataSource front end, but neither attempt to implement the
specification fully.  As PreparedStatement pooling is not addressed
until jdbc3, you could say they are both ahead of the curve.

But pushing either of these without attempting to bring them up to at
least jdbc2 compliance does not make much sense.  I have been working on
this for over a month (intermittently, of course) and have received one
code submission from another developer, not a commons committer.  Craig
has submitted a jdbc2 style DataSource (meaning bean-like configuration)
example to the DBCP codebase that I think serves as a good example on
how to use the DBCP codebase in an easy to configure manner.  It does
not include much configurability and leaves out statement pooling,
however, and it still does not hook into the correct backend for a jdbc2
pool.

The code in sandbox/jdbc2pool uses the commons pool and DBCP's
PreparedStatement pool while attempting to implement the jdbc2
specification.  Geir and anyone else at jakarta who wants to work on a
connection pool, why not join me in finishing this?  Geir, why are you
saying you want to work on Poolman, what does it have that dbcp does
not?

Yes jakarta developers should be able to work on what they want to work
on, but the founding projects of the commons was the pool and dbcp.  Yes
it is possible to have multiple implementations of these.  We have an
object pool in turbine that we are still deciding on whether to keep it
maintained or dump it for the current commons pool.  We had our own dbcp
as well, which I do not think anyone wants to maintain as a separate
entity even though it works perfectly well.  Isn't the point of the
commons to not have multiple implementations of the same concept?  I
have to say I still do not quite understand what the commons is.

john mcnally