On Thu, 28 Mar 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > JDK1.2.2 is old and is not worth supporting, but the new
> > GCJ3.0 and J2ME (
>
> The statement above gives me the impression that the author is working in an
> environment where he can set the platform (development and/or deployment)

Sorry for giving this impression - I usually advocate maintaining JDK1.1
compatibility whenever is possible, and at least at the API level ( with
anything up to 1.4 in the implementation, as long as the feature can also
be implemented in 1.1 ).

I was just trying to point that even if JDK1.2.2 is old, there are other
reasons and 'new' things that make that 'run anywhere' desirable.

The current definition of 'run anywhere' seem to include only the 3-4
platforms supporting the last JVM, and the 'portability' of java seem to
include only the Sun or derived VMs and their few  supported platforms.

Costin