On Mon, 1 Apr 2002, Michael A. Smith wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I would like to propose a new common component, based on code used
> > in tomcat, avalon and other java servers to work as NT services and unix
> > daemons.
> >
> > The initial code is based on the wrapper project at sourceforge,
> > and will replace ( and be merged with ) the other components
> > that duplicate the same functionality ( daemon, jk_nt_service, etc).
>
> Why based on code from sourceforge?  Why not base it off code that's
> already here?  As in, why not base it off the daemon component that's
> already in the commons sandbox and used by Tomcat 4.0 (that's what the
> daemon proposal states)?  And if you're already going to merge with this
> component, why even propose a new component?  Why not just start merging
> on the daemon component that's already here?

The reason we propose the 'wrapper' is that at this moment it is the
most advanced. There are at least 5 different codebases implementing
various features - 3 are used in different tomcat versions ( JavaService
and daemon on 4.0, jk_nt_service for 3.x ). In time we'll enhance
wrapper with features from all those - but the first step is to get
started, with the codebase that is closest to our goals.

I think code should be evaluated based on its quality, not source - there
are many fine projects at sourceforge and elsewere.

Costin