Ok, I haven't been a big fan of Yet Another Logging Impl, but I'll leave
that behind me, and propose we crib an idea from avalon, and hop on the
bandwagon.

The problem is this - we are doing a set of tools in velocity's tool
subproject,  and some may want a logger.  In the spirit of Jakarta, we are
reinventing the wheel again ("look Og, round!  Burns too!" - I guess we got
fire as part of the bargain) and I don't want to.

What we need is a marker interface that indicates a tool wants a logger, and
of course a method to give it the logger...  I did a quick scan of the
public API, and there doesn't seem to be one.

So what I propose is to add an interface 'LogUser' or something like it (we
can quibble about the name...)

 public interface LogUser
 {
    public void setCommonsLogger(Log log)
 }

So we have a common way to plant a logger.  I am guessing this is probably
yet another thing stolen from Avalon, so I'll be up front now about that :)

As I personally believe that just being a commons committer doesn't give me
the 'spirit-of-the-law' right to commit to the logger, I'll ask for some
even vague hint of approval from the logger people before moving forward.

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting

Maven & Gump are friends