On 4/5/02 10:30 PM, "Craig R. McClanahan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>

>> It's not that I don't like the static methods -
>>
>> I *love* your static methods.
>>
>> I adore them!
>>
>> I adore them so much, I want to write an implementation of LogFactory myself
>> for a new kind of logger I have.
>>
>> Can I do that and use it with commons-logging package?
>>

> Yep.  See the JavaDocs for org.apache.commons.logging for three different
> ways (system property, commons.logging.properties file, and the "services
> interface" protocol of a file in META-INF of a jar file) to request the
> use of your own custom LogFactory subclass.

Yep - I'm doing that.

I'm trying the Service provider approach (can't find the 'Service' class
anywhere in the 1.3.1 docs, but that's a different issue...) by making an
alternative impl of LogFactory and putting the proper META-INF/services path
in the jar.

I still can't see how classpath order for alternate LogFactory impls isn't
going to be a problem with something canonical like Digester or other
commons components, but at this point I trust that y'all have thought this
through and I just need to go convince myself.

Still seems like magic, but we all know what Arthur C Clark said about
magic..

Thanks all.

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting