It looks like the concept is available in both LogKit and Log4J, although in
slightly differenct forms. I don't know if the forms are compatible.

It's not available in JDK 1.4 logging.

So, the question is two-fold. Can the differences between LogKit and Log4J be
harmonized, and is this useful if it might be a no-op?