hi Michael

i'm pretty sure that it's a lack of capability in the code. i have been meaning to revise this area but i've been held by by some classloader problems in maven that meant i couldn't write the test cases i needed.

these problems now seems to be resolved so i'll try to find time to take another look.

- robert