Ok, I admit it, I sidetracked a bit about the ClassMetaData thing. God,
I wish I could develop open-source with pair-programming. Your opinions
made me snap out of it and I had another go today.

So I had the Extractor <-> ant task <-> Writer model which required the
ClassMetaData containing all meta-data. I just changed that to be ant
task -> Extractor -> Writer and that made things A LOT easier. The
"streams approach".

So have a look at my latest patch posted to commons-dev, I think it's
quite ok.

There's some other pros with having a ClassMetaData (based on
java.lang.reflect-values). For example sending it around as an argument,
serializing it via RMI, and so on. There's also some optimizations that
would be easier to implement if we had a ClassMetaData-object. My
experience from using Nanning tells me we do need some speed from this.

So I think adding a ClassMetaData/ClassAttributes/AttributeInfo/whatever
is the next thing to do.

The cool thing about the latest design is that we can really start
experimenting with different techniques for handling attributes. To do
compile-time validation, just implement a new extractor. If you want to
handle some new type of marshalling (object serialization,
BeanInfo-style, xml, and so on), implement a new finder/writer-pair to.
And so on...

Also, I'm pressing the issue about 1.0 and the schedule again: What do
we want from 1.0? I'm for just having simple attributes and the
pluggable API and the rest goes into releases after that.