On Thursday, December 5, 2002, at 06:35 PM, Tom Drake wrote:

It sounds like I've jumped into a bit of a hornets nest.
this is actually pretty tame :)

but it's too late to jump of the frying pan...

I was thinking this morning that such a move will run a high risk of
creating a circular dependancy between [collections] and [lang][functor]. It
seems likely that functors would want to use collection objects and
vice-versa. If I'm right about this, then all this code really belongs under
the same package.
(i don't have a deep understanding of the issues so this might be completely left field.)

i suppose that it's the implementations rather than the interfaces that will depend on collection objects.

this might point towards having a separate (possibly revamped) pattern component. the interfaces might live in lang and the implementations in pattern. pattern could depend on collection whereas collection could depend on lang.

- robert

-----Original Message-----
From: Rodney Waldhoff [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 9:47 AM
To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
Subject: [general] lang scope? (was Re: [collections][lang] Predicate
etc impls, was Re: commons-collections: New code contribution.)

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

The plan is to make [collections] depend on [lang] and deprecate the
Predicate etc. interfaces in [collections].
At the risk of becoming increasingly unpopular with the lang folks, for
reasons similiar to those I enumerated in [1] (and others), I'm
uncomfortable with moving Predicate et al to lang.  I'm having a lot of
trouble seeing lang as meeting the "Each package must have a clearly
defined purpose, scope, and API -- Do one thing well, and keep your
contracts." criterion.

Don't get me wrong, I think all of this is great stuff, but why does it
all have to be in lang?  If it doesn't meet the common reuse principle, it
should be in a different component.  The current (i.e., released) contents
of o.a.c.lang, o.a.c.lang.builder, o.a.c.lang.enum and
o.a.c.lang.exception seem reasonably coherent, but I don't think the
either the functor or the reflection packages are a clean fit (with
respect to the CRP, R/REP, etc.), either with each other or the other
classes in lang.

[1]
<http://archives.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=commons-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]