On Mon, 16 Dec 2002, Sam Ruby wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > <rant>
> > Having just been bitten by HttpClient deleting methods that have been
> > available for months in CVS, I'm starting to question the current process
> > of only deprecating if a method has been available in a 'release' product.
> >
> > I would like deprecation to happen for a time period before deletion, if
> > the code was not part of a release, especially in Commons, where the code
> > is by design meant to be used by others. And the code base can be stable,
> > without a release for a long time.
> > </rant>
>
> Bless you dIon.
>
> More frequent releases and/or policies like you describe would help.

More frequent releases would be a very good thing, but I think it would
lead to a diminishing in the focus spent on a release.

Maybe development releases should be more automatically pushed. We release
a 1.0.1-dev automatically and it's really just a cvs snapshot.

Another idea is that we could have a larger release a la Combo, which
might allow the effort of a release to be dealt with in one component. I
think this would fail though.

> But mostly, we need people to care and work together.

Agreed. Doesn't remove disagreements, but the biggest problem with code is
usually that people don't care about it.

Hen