net is an internet protocol suite.

net was based on code contained in NetComponents (which was originally developed by ORO, Inc and then donated to the apache software foundation). it is therefore quite a stable and mature codebase with a large user community.

it has spent a considerable period in the sandbox. it is clear that being a mature, unreleased library, it has failed to attract a healthy community there.

promotion to the commons will allow a 1.0 release to be created with an easy upgrade path for the existing NetComponents community. this will be a good basis for a healthy community here at jakarta. in addition, this would allow the ant team to move from NetComponents to commons-net.

over the last few weeks, we've seen an increase in activity by users and developers which says to me that the time is now right for net to be promoted :)

your votes please:

Vote to promote the "net" component from Commons Sandbox to Commons
Proper:

[ ] +1 I am in favor of this action and will help
[ ] +0 I am in favor of this action but cannot help
[ ] -0 I am not in favor of this action
[ ] -1 I am opposed to this action and here is why:

here's my +1

- robert