This might come across as being a bit bombastic, but there are points in
there, honest.

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> I am proposing to the Avalon team to drop Excalibur IO in favor of
> Commons IO.  That way it is less for us to maintain--and it is a
> library, not a component.

The part of this I disagree with is the 'less for us to maintain'. The way
Commons is meant to work I thought was that the projects who donated code
in were the ones who maintained it.

Now, one 'legal' reason why Avalon would not be involved in maintaining
the code:

"The Commons Proper is a place for collaboration and sharing, where
developers from throughout the Jakarta community can work together on
projects to be shared by the Jakarta projects and Jakarta users. "

Now, Avalon isn't in Jakarta now right? However, that's really just
something that Commons needs to fix about its self-description.

> As far as I know all functionality is merged in.  Our users do need
> an official replacement which can only happen when there is a Commons
> IO release.

One of the reasons that there's been no release of IO is that [as the only
person kicking IO stuff around afaik] I've been waiting until there were
unit-tests for the code in there [and shuffling package names a bit so
that it has space to grow] and writing the unit-tests takes time,
especially as I'm being a typical Java coder and thinking I can make a
framework as nice as the Collections unit-test framework.

Hen