On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
> > This might come across as being a bit bombastic, but there are points in
> > there, honest.
> >
> > On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> >

> >>I am proposing to the Avalon team to drop Excalibur IO in favor of
> >>Commons IO.  That way it is less for us to maintain--and it is a
> >>library, not a component.
> >

> > The part of this I disagree with is the 'less for us to maintain'. The way
> > Commons is meant to work I thought was that the projects who donated code
> > in were the ones who maintained it.
>
> Well, right now, Commons IO already has everything from Avalon IO.  We
> have to worry about what's in our CVS as well as here.

Who is 'Commons IO' is the question though?

I think it's Nicola and I, so half of IO is Avalon :) I'm arguing
semantics I think, just trying to avoid any assumption that there is some
kind of Commons community who look after Commons IO.

> > Now, Avalon isn't in Jakarta now right? However, that's really just
> > something that Commons needs to fix about its self-description.
>
> ;)  I'm sure that is merely for the spirit of Java based Apache projects
> which means Avalon still applies.

Yeah. Commons just needs to clean up some legalese in light of the
promotions of Ant/James/Avalon.

> > One of the reasons that there's been no release of IO is that [as the only
> > person kicking IO stuff around afaik] I've been waiting until there were
> > unit-tests for the code in there [and shuffling package names a bit so
> > that it has space to grow] and writing the unit-tests takes time,
> > especially as I'm being a typical Java coder and thinking I can make a
> > framework as nice as the Collections unit-test framework.
>
> We have a couple rudimentary tests, I am not sure if they are part
> of Commons IO yet or not.

I think they are. The Avalon classes are probably the better tested of the
group from memory.

Hen