>The notion expressed by someone else of creating new wrappers for each
request delegating to truly pooled
>connections, with the wrappers discarded when the connection is returned to
the pool would prevent refrences to
>wrappers being used to access the real pooled resources.
>On the other hand this safety might negate too much of the performance
boost pooling provides.

Due to the discussion, i have disabled the "abandoned connection" feature
and try to live without it, in fact, i am not happy with this, but maybe
sometimes one might create an alternative pool with this features ...

In debug-mode there sould be a list of "connections handed out", but ... i
hear it already ... this should be done by the user.

However, passing an wrapped instance of the pooled connection, like my
submitted patch do

e.g. new ConnectionFacade(pool.getConnection())

could never ever cost so much performance like creating a new connection,
nor could it slow down the application. Java should handle lightweight
objects like this in lightspeed. And how often do an application request an
connection compared to the number db-operations done via this connection?

Using "ThreadLocal" or the proxy method does not help anything, and do not
solve the problem. The application works on the proxy, but the pool get back
the real connection, and there is no chance to notify the proxy in any way.
We (the developer) do have definitly no chance to handle the "abandoned
connection" situation without add some code to DBCP, maybe i oversee what,
but then, please provide a working example where an application access the
pool through the dbcp-datasource defined in an tomcat configuration.
I am ready to learn something :-)

Mario