Base64, Hex, Soundex, and Metaphone are stable and ready for consumption.
The legacy Base64 implementation has been preserved in order to preserve
backwards compatibility for projects which currently depend upon codec 1.0.

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/codec/index.html

--------
Tim O'Brien