I apologize if anyone has already made this point, but...

If I'm writing code that uses a class called org.cavity.Thing...

import org.cavity.*
import org.apache.*

public class Test {

        Thing t = new Thing();

}

But later on, if the class org.apache.Thing is created, the code will no
longer compile, right?

Isn't this an untouchable reason for using explicit imports?