On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Henri Yandell wrote:

> That's fine.
>
> So ProxyMap is special, all ProxyMap implementations should be
> package-private and available through a MapUtils class and can have
> constructors which take a collection as copy-by-reference as it's not a
> public API?

-1 to making ProxyMap package scope, and only accesible via MapUtils.

I think you're reading a little too much into this "contract".  The
java.util.Map javadocs *recommend* that all *general purpose* Maps have a
no-arg, empty-Map constructor and a Map copy-constructor.  There are
obviously places where this recommendation is going to be violated
(consider a Map implementing a fixed mappping).  Since we're
obviously specifying a specific class when invoking a constructor, I see
little problem with having implementation-specific behavior here.

Besides, we can't adequately implement ProxyMap(map) as a copy
constructor anyway (what's the proxied map type?).

 - Rod <http://radio.weblogs.com/0122027/>