From: David Graham [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, May 25, 2003 2:12 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: validator & inheritance

>Yeah, I've got to start working on it now and understand I'll have to
>adapt to what changes you guys are making.  Would it be OK to discuss
>what kind of work you guys are doing among us?

Here's what we've done for 1.1:
Refactored the validations into separate classes (see EmailValidator for

example)

Added new UrlValidator

I just checked in a major overhaul of the Arg system to allow for more
than
4 message replacement arguments.

Moved javascript validation from Struts to commons-validator.  Rob, is
this
completed or still in progress?

Moved digester configuration to an xml file instead of in code.

Lots of refactoring to make validator easier to understand and maintain.

I'd like to release 1.1 RC1 with these changes as soon as they're
complete
to get feedback from the community.

If you develop the inheritance feature, we could include that in 1.2.

I eventually want to remove references to "forms" and replace them with
"beans" to clearly indicate that commons-validator can be used to
validate
any kind of bean and not just forms.

>It would be nice to play
>into each others hands in an efficient way.  Plus Im very curious too.
>And I'd go over my approach with you guys too, or even follow a
>recommendation if you're privy to that area of the code.

Post your ideas to this list for feedback.

David