For clarification, I never meant for the bisection method to be the end-all
for root finding.  I just needed something to facilitate the distribution
implementations.  I would prefer using J's object approach to the static
method any day, if for no reason then because of the inflexibility of static
methods.  They can't be overriden, they can't hold on to any state (a nice
feature in J's work), they can't be subclassed, ...

That being said, any design can be approved on (sorry J, even yours), but
the flavor of the object approach is, IMO, more agreeable than the static
method approach.  It also is inline with the direction most of the library
is beginning to take; complex algorithms encapsulated in strategy type
objects which are interchangeable through a common interface.

Brent Worden
http://www.brent.worden.org