David Graham wrote:

Static methods are a necessary evil in OO languages and should be avoided when possible.

I disagree. Static functions are similar to Aspect Oriented Programming, such as AspectJ which centrializes
code across many classes that is similar in functionality. This eliminates duplicate code, and increases maintainability.

I see no correlation between AOP and static methods, nor any correlation between static methods an increased code maintainability. There is nothing magic about static methods that make them more maintainable than non-statics.

David

Any time code is in --one-- place and not scattered across multiple classes this increases maintainability.
The fact that the methods are static is beside the point.

-Rob