Phil Steitz wrote:
The limitation on overriding is a serious concern and that is why in an earlier post, I suggested that we never use static methods for complex algorithms. An argument could be made that it would have been better to implement the methods in StatUtils as instance methods and to provide a (singleton) instance factory for users.

Have a look at UnivariateRealSolverFactory and check whether you like my approach to cater for both simplicity and flexibility.

J.Pietschmann