Brent Worden wrote:

This example also helps illustrate what I would like the design of the
library to proceed:
1) There are a collection of utility objects to perform standard operations
on standard input.  StatUtils is a good example of this.
2) Factories to create operation objects that perform the same operations on
both standard input and non-standard input.

So, are (1) implemented using (2) ?

3) Operational objects which allow open-ended input thus becoming reusable
in all kinds of environments.  This also prevents the need to implemented
more than once for the various inputs.

Brent Worden
Senior Technical Consultant
Perficient, Inc. - Minneapolis
D: (612) 752-1625

I think we have some concerns that have been voiced about becoming dependent on another sandbox component (Functor) and there are also arguments concerning return values that are Objects vs. return values that are Primitives. I think a logical consideration is that with "Functor" like development, there will be a path of refactoring over time as both math and functors mature/graduate to commons proper. As such, much of th previous discusion revolved around the possibilityof estabishing Interfaces that copy/extend Functors capabilities with primitive return values while providing a future point of "extension" for the math library once (and if) the Functor Library graduates?

Part of this issue is technical the other political, no matter how bright Functors future looks bright. It isn't going to be available as a maven/build dependency until it graduates. Now, it can be added as a dependency in maven/project.xml, but its jar would need to be provided locally, project.xml can be configured to resolve a dependnecy locally, I'm not sure how this would effect the build.xml generation and would have to test it before I can say for sure that its possible to have the generated ant script also handle this appropriately.

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer