Hey all,

After reviewing the needs in [math] for primitive collections and the available implementations of Primitive Collections in [collections] is become obviously clear to me that it is logical to refactor the great DoubleArrays we use in [math] to extend the primitive collection implementations.

From the [collections] group standpoint our goal would be to provide customized implementations of double collections that are capable of both growth/shrinkage in size and "rolling window" behavior .

From the standpoint of [math] the primitive tools in the [collections] library provide an excellent "bridge" to provide efficient primitive[] storage implementations that work well as both java.util.Collections and double arrays. While we have allot of discussion about getting our math package to work great with Collections, the [collections] group may already have all the tools required to actually manage these capabilities via their implementations without math needing to "reinvent the wheel" in this case. And, making [math] work with the [collection] library just "opens up the hangar doors" in terms of overall usability. (Brents already exploring this usefull interaction with Frequency and [collection] "Bag" implementations).

While we talk about code duplication being "allowed" in commons projects, IMHO, this one place where its a poor decision to continue doing so. With just a little research and interaction between the two groups this "bridge" could easily be crossed. I'm willing to do some of this leg work to accomplish the task given that I've been experimenting with refactorings that turn DoubleArrays into Collections in the math package.

Any input the [collections] group could provide on achieving this goal would be of the greatest help, eventually, such extended implementations could easily find a home in collections and be available for other projects as well. As usual, I know you'll all let me know what you think of this matter. I look forward to your viewpoints! ;-)

Cheers,
-Mark

--
Mark Diggory