I agree that having both is/isNot methods is convenient, but I also find it slightly confusing, and it adds more code to maintain.

However, as long as they conform to the standard of:

boolean isNotEmpty(String s) {
   return !isEmpty(s);
}

it will at least keep the code easily maintainable.

Thoughts?

Todd Jonker wrote:

Matt, thanks for your comments.

I guess you're right, we should probably add all of the negated calls:

   isEmpty           isNotEmpty
   isWhitespace      isNotWhitespace
   isTrivial         isNotTrivial
   isBlank           isNotBlank

This morning I'm feeling like they should all be "isNotSomething" for the
sake of uniformity with most other code.  At least there's only one that's
incorrect English (to my ears, at leas).

I certainly don't object to the negated methods, it's just that I tend to
prefer the streamlined API.

..T.