Matthew speaks truth here, but if the proposed changes are made
StringUtils (2.0) will no longer suit my needs.

Years before StringUtils I had my own StringUtil with isEmpty() and
isNotEmpty(), which performed a trim().  So I've long had the need to
treat "   " == null (to paraphrase Howard).

I think this was necessary for web applications, so I understand how
this doesn't suit everyone.

Lance