Juozas,

> I do not think it is good idea to maintain any kind of public API for
> "abandoned connections", It is garbage,
> If application or server is not broken, it doe's not need workarounds.

It is easy for you to say this, but the fact remains that a number of people
are quite vocal in their support for it, it is wrong for us to ignore the
needs of _all_ users, particularly if we are talking about removing
functionality which already exists and is in use.

Therefore there we have four options:

1/ We vote and the winning proposal is implemented leaving everyone else
dissatisfied
2/ We retain the status quo
3/ Someone makes a change without the general consent of the group
4/ We reach a compromise.

1 is the Apache way.
2 is ignoring the issue.
3 is unacceptable and would cause trouble.
4 is surely the most reasonable course of action to take.

Now I know you favour dropping support, others don't.
What would you say if we retained it?
What would they say if we dropped it?

Alternatively Serge's proposal is a proposal for compromise, I was
attempting to provide some support for the proposal by detailing one
possible way in which a compromise can be accomodated, allowing both sets of
users to have DBCP behave in the way they favour without breaking it for the
others.

If you believe my suggestions are garbage I suggest you help the process by
suggesting an alternative compromise as it looks likely that only a
compromise will be generally acceptable.

d.