As a user of, rather than contributor to, lang, I agree with Stephen.

While also a "Queen's English" user, the convention for programming
libraries is clearly established as US English. All the java standard
libraries use this convention, so it seems inconsistent to use other
spelling elsewhere. I bet C++ libraries, Gnome libraries, etc. also use
US English spellings for public methods.

Regards,

Simon