Ah, nice definitions.

The dictionary.com entries here
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=capitalise yield no results, which
is neither here or there, but just illustrates the basic problem: "It
depends".

If you look up http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=capitalize you get
the same definitions that you listed. Isn't this fun?

I do think that standardizing on something is good. At the risk of being
US-centric, US English seems like a reasonable rule of thumb.

Gary