On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, Phil Steitz wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
> >
> > What is perf? That long test that takes ages?
>
> I meant the EntitiesPerformanceTest or some such.  When I first tried
> maven, this test was taking ages.  What I was intending to do was to use
>
> <unitTest>
>        <includes>
>          <include>**/*TestSuite.java</include>
>        </includes>
>        <excludes>
>          <exclude>**/AllLangTestSuite.java</exclude>
>        </excludes>
>      </unitTest>
>
> That would make maven run the same tests that ant does now (I think).

Ant runs EntitiesPerformance currently. It surprised me how long that
took.

> > Maybe we should define a separate /src/perf for tests that are only to be
> > done at certain times?
>
> +1 -- or use suggestive names and <include>/<exclude> stuff as above.  I
> used to <exclude>**/*Performance*.java</exclude>.

+1.

> >>* Add a <reports> element to restrict reports
> >

> > Which would we restrict?
>
> Really, I was planning to add a list with many of them commented out for
> convenience, like so:
>
> <reports>
>       <-- <report>maven-changelog-plugin</report> -->
>       <-- <report>maven-changes-plugin</report> -->
>       <report>maven-checkstyle-plugin</report>
>       <-- <report>maven-clover-plugin</report> -->  (till we have the
> license sorted)
>       <!-- <report>maven-developer-activity-plugin</report> -->
>       <!-- <report>maven-file-activity-plugin</report> -->
>       <report>maven-javadoc-plugin</report>
>       <!--   <report>maven-jellydoc-plugin</report> -->
>       <report>maven-junit-report-plugin</report>
>       <!--<report>maven-jxr-plugin</report> -->
>       <report>maven-license-plugin</report>
>      <!-- <report>maven-linkcheck-plugin</report> -->
>       <!-- <report>maven-statcvs-plugin</report> -->
>       <report>maven-tasklist-plugin</report>
>    </reports>

Cool. +1.

> The one that bogs is linkcheck. That one should only be run
> periodically, IMHO.

Bogs?

> My main (only) complaint with using maven for build is speed -- plain
> ant with a nice build.xml like lang has is faster. Of course you don't
> get all of the goodies that way.  So I like to minimize what I ask maven
> to do by default. A slim maven build with clover, javadoc, checkstyle
> reports for turning the crank, then add more reports for "site
> generation".  Just my HO.

Got ya. The way I've solved this is with nightly site generation [not
live], but that's still not as good as your approach of integrating
clover/checkstyle into the build so the feedback loop is tiny.

Hen