On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 06:58, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> I guess we were going to figure out if we want to add the artificial
> notion of the length field, or just ask people to use size().  'length'
> is really weird, as it doesn't really exist as a field, and only
> applies to arrays.
>
> Why confuse the syntax with an additional way to get size?

People may expect "length" to work, but as long as it is properly
documented for users I see no problem with asking people to use size()
instead of length.

"length" is a public final field in all array types, but from what I see
ASTIdentifier just delegates to ASTArrayAccess which then decides how to
deal with an identifier (isMap -> isList -> isArray -> bean prop).

We could just as easily add a step after accessing a bean property in
ASTArrayAccess which tried to access a public field.  What do you
think?