Now in hindsight, you may be correct concerning this.

From my understanding, Maven will resolve SNAPSHOTS to thier proper build number when creating the distribution, so when the distribution is produced it will resolve to the versioned jar properly.

But I'm not sure if this is even usefull for a commons component where the real product is the actual jar file and not the distribution tar ball. I know I pushed for using SNAPSHOT earlier. But, maybe it would make more sense if these were specific versions that we increment to a specific release of other commons components.

The only issues that arise have to do with not getting too far ahead of or behind the present state of our dependences.

-Mark

J.Pietschmann wrote:

Hi,
is there a way to tell maven not to reload the three SNAPSHOT
jars without secifying "--offline" (which may cause failure
due to other missing jars)?
Could we use release jars instead of snapshots?

Further notices:
There are a few FIXME comments. I've configured my Eclipse to
mark FIXMEs, but the out-of-the-box config highlights only TODOs.
Can we agree on a common style here?
I also get a lot of checkstyle warnings for operators placed at
the beginning of a line. This is both Old Emacs style as well as
Eclipse's auto formatting style. I have no idea how the Eclipse
auto formatter can be told to put the operators at the end of
the line. Also, I personally find operators at the end of the line
awful too, although it is more consistent with common line breaking
rules in documents.
Questions: where's the "operator at previous line end" originating?
Are there IDEs/formatters which auto-format operators at the end
of the previous line?
Can/should we revert to "operator at the beginning of the line"?

Is there some way to order JavaDoc to tell the correct line for its
warnings? I get them consistently wrong, by an unpredictable amount.

J.Pietschmann

-- Mark Diggory Software Developer Harvard MIT Data Center http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu