Hi Ricky,

You must be referring to
  xmlrules/DigesterRuleParser.java

I'm no expert on the xmlrules package.

However it is normal practice for classes created solely for the purpose
of implementing function X to be declared private.

The PatternRule class appears to have been created *not* with the
intention of providing additional services to users of Digester, but
solely as an implementation detail of the xmlrules functionality. As
such, private seems the appropriate scope to me.

If you feel that the functionality of the PatternRule is useful outside
of the xmlrules package, then consideration could be given to
"promoting" the class to public.

Note however that any class or method declared public (or protected) is
part of the "public interface" to a package, and must:
(a) be documented much more thoroughly than private/package classes
(b) be backwards-compatible in future releases
(c) be deprecated before removal

So a class really should only be public if it needs to be.

Regards,

Simon