simon,
nevermind, i don't remember what i did, but
 <pattern value="child">
   <object-create-rule classname="xxx"/>
     <set-generic-properties-rule/>
     <set-next-rule methodname="addChild"/>
 </pattern>

now works with [d instanceof Digester]
  d.addFactoryCreate("*/set-generic-properties-rule",
new SetGenericPropertiesRuleFactory());
//      d.addRule("*/set-generic-properties-rule", new
XPatternRule("pattern")); <--- thought i need this
      d.addSetNext("*/set-generic-properties-rule",
"add", Rule.class.getName());
(XXGenericXX some Castor related stuff)

i've been using Digester for 3 days now and haven't
digged the push/pop stuff completely yet...
your arguments regarding private use have been
absorbed though

thanks
ricardo

Hi Ricky,