On Sunday, October 5, 2003, at 10:53 PM, Simon Kitching wrote:
On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 00:43, robert burrell donkin wrote:

<snip>

7. Logs

at the moment, each plugin class uses it's own and the log cannot be set.
i'm not in favour of this pattern for several reasons. most rules
implementations use the digester log and i'd prefer to switch as many
classes as possible to use the log and give the others setters and getters.

I disagree with this one. I think having a different logger on each class is one of the most wonderful features of logging, giving much better control of output.

Having all logging going via single Log object means that there is no
control over what gets logged and what doesn't for different components
of Digester. And Digester generates some serious log output when
enabled!

agreed.

the drawback of this approach is that limits the contexts in which digester plug-ins can be used. some frameworks have good reasons to want to be able to control where the output of the log goes.

- robert