On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Tim O'Brien wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 14:08, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > > Certainly, the differing build systems and websites are a problem.  I'm
> > > just not comfortable yet with the idea that I have to build all
> > > component's sites to update a small piece of a component I'm directly
> > > working on.
> >
> > As I understand it, the proposal is to use the multi-project plug-in.  I
> > believe that you should be able to build just your own, too.  Not sure what
> > happens if you want to build everything that can build if they don't have
> > dependencies on ones that didn't build, but that ought to be something that
> > the Maven mavens can address.
> >

> Different projects are going to want to update sites at different
> frequencies.  I think we should make an attempt to achieve consistency
> throughout the J-C sites before attempting to create a system generate
> and publish every single J-C project.  Different projects change at
> different frequencies, and we should leave the process of publishing the
> site to each component.

+1 for achieving consistency as a first step. If we want to use the Maven
multi-project plug-in, having everything Mavenised first will (probably)
make that easier. (I say "probably" because I've never played with the
multi-project stuff myself.)

Regarding publishing the sites, I'm not all that worried about that. There
is already a system in place to automatically update the main Jakarta site
periodically (i.e. every few hours), and I suspect it wouldn't be hard to
piggy back on that. Of course, that will be easier when we have one
Commons site to update, rather than one per component, but hey, baby steps
first. ;-)

When I find a few minutes, I'll try to put up a page on the wiki to help
us organise this effort, with a list of tasks that need to happen to get
us where we want to be. (Unless, of course, someone beats me to it! ;)

--
Martin Cooper