On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, John Keyes wrote:

> <snip/>
>
> > Shouldn't we cleanup the sandbox a bit first?
> > (tar & rm)
> > The following components are graduated out the sandbox:
> > betwixt             cli             codec
> > daemon              dbutils         digester
> > discovery   el              fileupload
> > jelly               jexl            lang
> > latka               launcher        logging
> > math                modeler         primitives
>
> CLI has returned to the 'sandbox'.  This was to grant commit
> privileges to someone who didn't have Jakarta commons commit
> privileges.  Now I'm unsure if this was the correct approach
> (I did broach the subject on the dev list) but it certainly
> allowed us to continue very easily.  So I think a better
> means to determine whether a sandbox project should be removed
> or not should be determined by activity.

If said person has demonstrated useful contributions to CLI in the
sandbox, then it seems to me that it would be appropriate to propose that
they now become a Commons Proper committer.

Deciding upon the removal, or otherwise, of components from the sandbox
base on activity alone is not quite right, I think. As Noel pointed out
when he started this thread, there are components in the sandbox that
might have generated a community around them, had they actually been made
visible on the web site.

Personally, I'd prefer to see any given component exist (actively) in
either Proper or the sandbox, but not both. Once a component has been
promoted, it should stay in Proper, and its presence in the sandbox should
be removed. I understand the history in the particular case of CLI, but
I'd just as soon avoid that particular scenario going forward.

--
Martin Cooper