From: "Rodney Waldhoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
>
> > The 'line' is the release. Once code is released we have a duty of
backwards
> > compatability to it. Thats not to say it will never move, but it can
only do
> > so by deprecating the original.
>
> I think we should be trying harder than that.
>
> While we may not *need* to always maintain backward compatiablity with
> unreleased code, in the sense that we haven't promised it to anyone, we
> should strive to maintain compatiablity anyway.  To do otherwise is to
> harm our early adopters, and to do that is to harm the project itself.

Although initially I was opposed to this concept re unreleased code, I am
now more of a supporter. Currently [collections] contains a lot of code that
is deprecated solely for the purpose of nightly builds and a future
snapshot. The idea being that it is removed once the ibiblio snapshot has
occurred. This seem to produce a reasonable balance of flexibilty for code
development with protection for users (and is particularly necessary given
the time since the last collections release)

Stephen