From
http://maven.apache.org/reference/project-descriptor.html#dependencies

Note: The use of the id element for a dependency is deprecated. Please use groupId and artifactId together instead.

Rodney Waldhoff wrote:
In commons-primitives, the following tag seems to work:

 <dependency>
   <id>commons-collections:commons-collections-testframework</id>
   <version>SNAPSHOT</version>
 </dependency>

unless I've done something funky locally that I've forgotten about.