Greg Stein wrote:
<snip>

How does J-C fit into this? What I see is a loosely knit group of developers each working on one or more components. There is definitely a feeling of community, but the codebases and the people working on them form discrete subgroups. As an easy example: the codec component really only has two committers on it. I'm not sure that constitutes a problem, but it also seems to indicate that the community != interested developers which means that those developers cannot necessarily do what they want (or believe is best) with the code that interests them.

I disagree. The "discrete subgroups" are very fluid and there is a lot of interaction and cross-pollination among them. Codec in fact has 8 people listed as "committers." I have never seen an example where a commons developer (committer or not) is unable to "do what they want...with the code that interests them" because of community fragmentation. Sometimes people disagree and some ideas are rejected by the community, but there is nothing stopping any developer from getting involved in any commons component. There are also *lots* more people than the [codec] committers who read and comment on [codec] posts.

Phil

Cheers, -g